Korean Beef Soup with Radish - “sogogi mu guk”
So today I tried the Korean Beef Soup with Radish !! Very simple and easy recipe yet I find it delicious . The soup is non-spicy, so it’s a perfect choice for children, and it can be whipped up quickly if you have a lot of sudden guests ( ofcourse if they are open to less spicy and light food ) . It’s hearty food best enjoyed with rice, and is a staple in the Korean diet. In Korea, this beef radish soup is called “sogogi mu guk”. They Serve this soup with rice and kimchi. They usually dunk their rice into the soup and mix it up. Kimchi is a perfect accompanying side dish to go with
To avoid the smell of Radish , mix some salt and sugar with the pieces of radish and set aside while doing the other preparations. After 30 minutes wash it ,hopefully the smell will be gone, and for this particular recipe take the matured Radishes ( নতুন বা কচি মূলা নয়) not the young one .
I followed this recipe
- ½ pound beef brisket, cut into small pieces
- ½ pound Korean radish or daikon, washed and peeled ( I took those were available in our grocery shop, our local Radish)
- sesame oil 2 tbsp ( না থাকলে সয়াবিন বা বাটার দিয়ে কাজ সেরে ফেলবেন কোনো প্যারা নাই
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly diagonally
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (that's a table spoon full)
- 2 tablespoon soup soy sauce ( I used light soy sauce as I only had that)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5cups water + 2 cups chicken broth/ chicken stock ( ঝামেলা হবে ৭ কাপ পানি তে ম্যাগী চিকেন কিউব দিয়ে দিলেই হনে ২ পিস)
Heat the oil, fry the beef pieces for 2 minutes ,add radish when the meat is no more pink , add the water and broth, soy sauce, minced garlic, pepper powder and salt . Cover and bring it to a boil over medium high heat for about 25 minutes. Add the chopped green onion. Cook another 5 minutes and remove from the heat. Done .Now Ladle into a bowl. Serve with rice, kimchi, and more side dishes.